Wednesday, August 25, 2010

House of Leaves



Have you ever read a book that just completely messed your mind up for a bit? This book cracked my skull open and proceeded to scoop out my pink wrinkly bits and fling them across the room! Sounds painful, doesn't it? Well I loved it! It's a challenging read. The pages take on a life of their own as the story progresses. The format starts to mimic the action and events taking place in the story. I loved every single bit of this book!

A lot of people have said that they hate the footnotes and the footnote's footnotes, but I thought they added something to it. Each footnote was an interesting little find and was (to me) crucial to getting into the heads of the characters. I liked that format very much!

This is a story in a story in a story, so at times you get a bit confuddled about who is doing what to whom and where. I know I had to go back and read a few times, but then I found something I had previously missed. There are puzzles and little treasures to find in the midst of the many many pages in this book. It's definitely not a book that you read and just shelf it. You have to think and re-read and work out what is happening.

I know there are many more awesome reviews of this book, but this is mine and I'm telling you what I liked. House of Leaves is a wonderful, creepy, horrifically interesting book! I definitely suggest investing in a copy of it! Especially if your tastes run more towards the horror genre!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard great things about this book, so I've added it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!