Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Review: Siege


About:
Siege is the conclusion to Rhiannon Frater’s As the World Dies trilogy, which should appeal to fans of The Walking Dead. Both The First Days and Fighting to Survive won the Dead Letter Award from Mail Order Zombie. The First Days was named one of the Best Zombie Books of the Decade by the Harrisburg Book Examiner. The zombie illness has shattered civilization. The survivors who have found tenuous safety in Texas defend their fort against the walking dead and living bandits. Katie has made peace with the death of her wife and is pregnant and married to Travis, who has been elected Mayor. Jenni, her stepson, Jason; and Juan—Travis’s right-hand man—are a happy family, though Jenni suffers from PTSD. Both women are deadly zombie killers. In Siege, the people of Ashley Oaks are stunned to discover that the vice president of the United States is alive and commanding the remnants of the US military. What’s left of the US government has plans for this group of determined survivors.

My Review: 
I laughed, cried, and stressed out, and that was all before I opened the book and started reading! This book is the conclusion (NOOOEESSS) of one of my new favorite series in the entire world! THE WHOLE WORLD PEOPLE!!! I loved this storyline and was just really anxious to read it. I didn't want the ride to be over, but I wanted to know what happened. I was so very seriously NOT disappointed!

Rhiannon Frater probably thinks I'm some crazy stan (click for urban dictionary definition.) I tweeted as I read the book and probably sounded borderline crazy! Tweets such as: "Omg y'all Siege is so effin' intense I am freaking out! I love this shizz!" and "I haz a sad now :( zombies are so mean" probably made her consider taking out a restraining order or something.

 
I love Katie and Jenni and I really was hoping that they all made it through, even though I know that zombies are soooo mean!  I really get possessive about my favorite characters in books. I know it's not healthy, but that's just how I roll. So there were a few shocks (and crying jags) involved with this ending. I loved the action and loved the drama. Some of my heroes expired and some of them didn't. My brain and heart were barely able to handle it. When you are legit, biting your nails while you read a book, you know it's good.

My hat goes off to RF. She held NO punches and everyone was at risk here. The ending packed a wallop and definitely made my toes curl! So much awesome packed into one book! There is no magical ending where everyone lives happily ever after in a world where there's no zombies (damnit), but it still is a very satisfying conclusion to a series that I will recommend to everyone! Seriously.

Basically, I think it's pretty obvious that I loved this book. This series is wonderful and packed full of excellent writing and vivid characters. Read it. The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!